Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Some stitching to report!

Hello everyone. It's nice to finally be here and be able to do a blog post. My, how the Summer keeps us busy! I have been keeping the children busy too as much as I can. We have spent most of the time having long, lazy lie ins and going out to see a museum or two once or twice a week. DD has been busy with her craft group once a week and also some workshops.

She made a sock puppet:

IMG_1411

and some pots and Hama coasters:

IMG_1412

I have felt much better this summer than any other I think and I believe it is because I have stopped putting pressure on myself to do so much and to not compare myself with other people. It has been nice to just chill and wander down to the local park and playground when the weather has been kind. I'll miss them when term starts... and I'll miss the lie ins too!

So here's a few snaps of what we've been up to.

We recently went to the Hatworks Museum in Stockport. A little gem of a place and it's free too. Nice little cafe that is reasonably priced as well.

IMG_1394

IMG_1400

IMG_1401

IMG_1402

IMG_1404

IMG_1405

IMG_1409

IMG_1399

I loved this felted den that was there. Fantastic!

IMG_1396

So, onto some stitching news. It seems a while since I did a decent stitchy post so here's what I have been up to stitch wise.

Here's a little project that I have recently started. It is A Bird in Hand by Blackbird Designs. My online friend Karan gifted me this chart last Christmas and I love it! It took a while to get the thread ordered from Sewandso but finally the arrived. The thread is WDW Baked Apple. Doesn't that sound lovely?? Mmmmm Baked Apple. I could just picture the colour before it came.

A Bird in Hand BBD

See I have nearly finished it and then I will probably turn it into a cushion.

I received my ornament from the HOE Lizzie Kate ornie exchange through from Kathy and Rory the dog! I really love this and love how Kathy has stitched two designs back to back. Looks fantastic and really well finished too. Thanks Kathy!

Lizzie kate ##### from Kathy 2011

IMG_1423

I, also, have finished some more ornies to go on my stitching tree this year. These are both taken from the 2007 Just Cross Stitch ornament magazine.


IMG_1421

This is also from the same magazine but it has gone to Cath as a piece of angel stitching as the chart went missing in our last round of Stitch and Pass it on. I added a few extras for her too:

Gift for Cath

So that's all the stitching news. I managed to get a picture of my brother with his crochet blanket on his birthday. I think he likes it although it is very hard to tell as he is severely disabled and doesn't show much emotion. The picture is not of great quality as I took it with my ipod whilst at my mum's.

photo (4)

So there you go peeps. That's me for now. Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


25 comments:

LoriU said...

What a fun summer! And the hats are awesome! Oh you can tell your brother likes the afghan by the way his hand is stroking it! It is beautiful too!

Siobhán said...

Wow, what a fun time! The hats are too cute--looks like the kids really had a blast. The stitching pics are fantastic! What beautiful ornaments. Love the BBD, too! I'm glad that your brother liked his blanket. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a relaxing summer, i think we could all do with learning to slow down a bit & enjoy simple things, looks like you did just that:D
Your brother looks well happy with the blanket, more simple things :)
Have a sweet week
Karen xx

Kathy said...

I am so glad that my exchange arrived safely to you. And I am even happier that you really like it. (I am always worried that someone might not be pleased with my finishing skills. I do try.)
I love the photos of your children with the hats. how cute. And it sure looks to me like your brother likes his afghan. :)
Hope the rest of of summer is as peaceful.
Kathy
and Rory too

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Lots of lovely things to show Hazel. My favourite photo is the one of your brother with his crochet blanket - giving gifts made with love is what it's all about.

Becky K in OK said...

Love all your photos and your stitchy stuff too. Photo of your brother is wonderful.

Lesleyanne said...

I love hats! The museum looks great. Great stitching. Love the ornament you received and sent. You blanket is gorgeous too.

geeky Heather said...

Wow, that's a lot of ornament finishes! Congratulations!

I love that sock puppet. I was a puppet fiend when I was a kid and would force my family to watch many puppet shows. =)

Kathy A. said...

Oh the hats made me smile. The kids look so happy.
What a lovely blanket you made for your brother.
Take care my dear.

Gillie said...

The museum looks fun! Great stitching too, I am doing the Bird in Hand too though it has dropped back a bit in the line up. So glad your brother received his blanket, I am sure he liked it.

barbara said...

So glad to hear you're enjoying a lovely summer! And to hear you're not holding yourself up to unreasonable expectations - good for you! (And do let me in on the secret, please!)

Your stitching and ornament finishing are amazing. WOW. And the pic of your little fella in the red cowboy hat is so cute. :)

The blanket you made for your brother is absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure he'll treasure it.

Margaret said...

That hat place looks like so much fun! Love the pics of the kids. Great stitching too! Glad your brother liked his blanket as well!

Jeanne said...

I'm glad you've enjoyed your summer Hazel. Your new BBD is very cute as are all the ornaments of course! I'm betting your brother likes the new blanket even if he can't express that to you. Gifts of love are very special.

gracie said...

Fun pictures with the kids...nice stitching and the blanket loks very nice with brother....

Gabi said...

What lovely hats!!! Looks like you had lots of fun with your gorgeous kids.
Love your stitching, all of them.
The blanket for your brother is just lovely

Stitchabilities said...

Great to see you stitching again,and it looks like you have had a fab time!

Louise said...

Hello Hazel!
You have so many beautiful places to shop and visit..I would love to come visit one day! :)
Your children are beautiful and they are growing so fast! Love your new stitchy piece..I have that chart also. I love Blackbird designs! I think your brother looks very happy with his new blanket and I am sure he is going to love it!
Louise xx

Carol said...

Looks like your children are having a perfect summer, Hazel--just fooling around and being kids :)

Love the Baked Apple color you chose for your BBD piece and each of your ornaments is so cute! Thanks so much for sharing the photo of your brother with your gorgeous blanket...I can see why he loves it!

Heidi said...

Summer fun! You will however, come winter, have the best dressed Christmas tree. :-)

I am so thinking autumn now but the weather in Holland does help since we have not really had summer weather. I am sure your brother will love having his beautiful blanket to warm him in the coming season. I am even wearing a crochet poncho (you inspired me to make it and I will share in on the blog later after DH takes a photo) today so maybe he is already using his blanket?

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Giovanna said...

Great stitching on everything (and what a lot!), and lovely blanket for your brother - congrats!

Kathy said...

Awwww looks like everyone had a fab time hun, glad your havin a relaxing time.

Your stitching looks fab as always.

You can tell he likes his blanket, so lovely and bright too.

Hugs xxxxx

Sally said...

The Hatworks Museum looks fantastic Hazel. Looks like your children had a great time!

Lovely stitching and you are truly an angel to step in and stitch for Cath.

Love the blanket you crocheted for your brother. I bet he loves it.

Karoline said...

The Hat Museum looks great fun and very interesting.

Lovely ornaments, congratulations

Aussie Stitcher said...

I am so glad that you have enjoyed the summer. Loved the pictures with the hats.

Julie said...

Lovely to read you have had a great summer with the children, the crochet blankie looks wonderful draped over your brothers knee.

Super stitching!