Friday, July 29, 2016

To Thine own Self be True?

Well well well!!! It didn't quite work out doing a once a month post since the last time I posted was April. I'm very sorry if anyone has been worried or anxious about my whereabouts. Life took a twist and a very unexpected turn and it has made me re-think a lot of things. 

The first thing to happen was my friend sadly passed away. She was only 44 years old and left behind a husband and 3 children. She had been a sufferer of MS for a number of years but things took a turn in February when she was diagnosed with a rare but life-threatening disease called PML. It was the only case in the north west of England it was so rare. Anyway she lost her fight on 13th June and the worst thing for me was not being able to see her to say goodbye. I wasn't able to put things right where there was wrong. I wasn't able to reconcile with her to say sorry for the wrongs done by me and forgive for the wrongs done by her. It has made me think a lot about the people in my life and those who are no longer in my life. It has made me think of all my regrets and time lost. It has also challenged my faith and where I have walked in the flesh and not in the Spirit for so long. Would I be ready to go and meet Jesus if my time was up today? Time we can never get back. 

RIP Karen



And this brings me to my title, To Thine Own Self Be True. I guess this blog has always been my creative blog where I have showcased my handiwork over the years and I have deliberately left out anything to do with my faith generally speaking as I felt it might offend someone or cause division, or create a nasty feeling. However, as the years are ticking away, I feel more than ever that I have to be true to who I am and  if people don't like it then that is their concern and not mine. We preach this quote time and time again about being true to yourself, about being who you are and yet, here am I hiding my little light under a great, big bushel! 

So I want to unashamedly come out of the closet and say today that I am a follower of Jesus. I do believe he died for my sins and I do believe there is only one way to God and that is through faith in his Son. It's not by works so no -one can boast and there will be eternal punishment for those who reject God's free gift in this lifetime. Some of these things are difficult to say and I know that I will be pitied or laughed to scorn but even so.... I do believe the days are at hand and the true church needs to be called back to repentance and do the things Jesus told us to do which is to go and preach the gospel to the whole world. The church has been sailing for too long on the Love Boat and need to get back to its mission of reaching the lost. I'm not going to be using this blog as a preach-box but if anyone would like to know more about my faith then please get in touch via email. I'm happy to chat. And for those that do need a wake up call.......


So, where does that leave me? Am I still crafting, stitching, crocheting? Yes. But I think I need to spend less time on it than I actually do. Will I still post up my crafty bits and bobs? Yes of course! In fact, we have just spent the better half of this morning putting up my samplers after decorating. I am pretty pleased with how they all look. It is a very large wall. There is the option of going up the stairs but I don't really want to do that due to health and safety!



I have also had a new start - a LK one. Picture isn't great but you can get the idea:


But mostly I have been working on some commission work I have been doing for some cross stitch magazines. This has been fun but time consuming. 

I had a sort through of some wool: from this:

to this - a little colour play:






And there have been lots of inspiring posts but there are too many wonderful things to make and not enough time in the world!

I have been away, out and about and generally pottering.



 I have work to prep for for when I go back to school and a house to tidy and kids to entertain. So much going on. I hope that helps a little by way of letting you know where I have been and what I have been up to. I will try my best to do a more recent post with updates instead of leaving it so long. 

love, 

18 comments:

Vickie said...

Good for you Hazel. That is just precisely how I feel on my blog also. I will not make excuses for my faith. I am so glad to see a post by you. Your wall is wonderful. I am sure the kids have grown very TALL in the sunshine. :D

Robin in Virginia said...

What a fabulous wall of stitching! I don't always comment, but do enjoy your blog. This post was well written and written from the heart. Be true to yourself and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Enjoy your weekend!

Margaret said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and the unresolved issues there. This is your blog and you should be able to talk about what you want. Love seeing your samplers up on the wall. Love all the yarny pretty color goodness! Great pics of your holidays too!

Halland House Gifts said...

Hazel, I just stumbled upon your blog today and was blessed by it. Thank you.

Myra said...

Your post is so inspiring. As the world seems to be getting darker and darker, I too feel the need to do what is required of me. It's people like you that have the courage to give a spiritual nudge to those of us that need a little push. Thank you for that. Blessing to you.

Margaret said...

Good on you Hazel. I appreciated your post. And as an aside, I love the colours on the row of beach huts!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

A thoughtful post, Hazel.

Theresa said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend and I pray you will feel peace and comfort. "His mercies are new every morning". Thanks for the honesty and the reminder that our time here is short and eternity is forever, and the blessed hope we have because of His Son.

Deborah said...

I just recently found your blog and enjoy it. To thine own self be true is a good thing to aspire to. I share your faith and don't think you should have to hide it. Thanks for inspiring me with your beautiful handwork and your words of faith. The beach cottages would be a wonderful color pallet for a quilt.

Von said...

I'm so glad you were able to write an update, Hazel! I seem to take blogging breaks myself now and then. Being true to yourself and to God doesn't always come easily, but I'm so thankful He has taken the penalty for my failings as there are many! I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend; may God comfort you as you mourn. And your sampler wall looks wonderful!

Maggie said...

Hi Hazel, it's your blog space and you should write about whatever you want to without worrying what other people will think, as we get older i think we realise more that we need to be true to ourselves and not worry what others think of us, life is too short.

Love the sampler wall BTW :-)
xx

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm so sorry to hear the loss of your friend. I truly believe she knows what is in your heart. I hope you can find peace about that part of it.

My favorite blogs are those that are true to who they are. Never apologize for being yourself.

Sending you a hug.

P.S. Your sampler wall is delightful!

Unknown said...

Xx

Unknown said...

Well done Hazel, for sharing the gospel and your heart. Thanks for your time today. You are a breath of fresh and a great inspiration to me. Lovely seeing you. Your stitching is amazing. And so are you. Xx

ruthsplace said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Hugs to you as you navigate new paths without her.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice to see you back but sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Maybe there is something you could make for her family to let them know you care about them?
Your sampler wall looks amazing! I love how all the different shapes and sizes work so well together.
As the others have said, it's your blog and if your faith is important to you then you should talk about it. I have friends from many different faiths and respect all their beliefs, they all have a common core of love and respect other people. That's what really matters and what this world needs right now.

Sally said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Hazel.

We do need to be true to ourselves. I loved reading your post.

Love your sampler wall.

Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog today from a Pinterest picture. I realize it is five years old but I just want to encourage you today to continue to live your faith out loud. I too am a Christian. I understand your feeling and I have also hidden my light at times. We have a lot in common. I lost a friend to breast cancer last year. I also like to craft and stitch and I am a high school teacher. God bless you and yours! ~Julie