Sunday, February 01, 2015

Keeping the Chills out!

I gave a sneak peak a while ago to a special project I was making for my daughter's birthday. I promised a finish post but alas, I never got around to taking the pictures until now. 

Some of you may have guessed what it was but if you didn't here it is........

A Katniss Cowl


With her obsession with the Hunger Games novels and films, this pattern was just the ticket and truth be told, she has rarely gone a day without wearing it.


There are different ways to wear it.....


It is extremely thick and heavy and verrrrrry snuggly. The yarn I used was Drops Andes in Light Grey mix which you can find here.


Below is a close up of the pattern. I did have to leave out the last two rows as I ran out of yarn but felt it was thick enough for my 12 year old anyways!! You can find the pattern here. It is very easy once you get going and just follow the steps. 


She has had lots of compliments when wearing it. It only took me about three evenings to make. 

Then, this one! This was a quick project which I started yesterday when I intended to use up some Lion Brand Amazing yarn I had in my cupboard doing nothing. I made up the pattern and chained about 200 chains or just over. Then I single crocheted into the chains and then did half doubles for about 12 rounds. I finished with a single crochet edge. Easy peasy. It wraps round the neck three times. I thought the yarn would do the hard work and so it just needed a simple pattern and I am very pleased with it. Instead of joining each round and chaining up, I just continued and worked it in a spiral i.e. continuously if you get what I mean. I used a 6 mm hook for this project. 



Thought I had better post these before the summer comes along! 



27 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Wow - beautiful cowls and very beautiful daughter; she could be a model. x

Margaret said...

Both are beautiful! And your daughter is beautiful too! Love how thick the Katniss one is.

Loraine said...

Your scarves are as beautiful as your daughter!!
We were just watching hunger games last night! I love your rendition of the Katniss scarf!
Take Care

Chris said...

The scarves are wonderful and your daughter is beautiful.

andamento said...

All beautiful!

Unknown said...

Oh my word. BEAUTIFUL. Your daughter is stunning too. X

craftingpaws said...

The scarves are lovely!
(I really love the oatmeal colored one, it is fabulous!)
You have a beautiful model, too! :)

Vickie said...

See now? I was going to tell you the same thing as everyone here. Your young daughter is truly very pretty. So is your work!!

sharine said...

It looks beautiful:)

Catherine said...

Ooohhh....love them both, especially the first one!! Wish I could knit/crochet. Your daughter is such a beautiful young lady!

Christine said...

They are fabulous! Lovely model too

CathE said...

Beautiful work and a very beautiful model! My daughters love the Hunger Game too (we've all read the books as well as seen the films - so far). Pity I can't knit!

Margaret said...

Gorgeous cowl & scarf for your beautiful daughter.

Julie said...

Children grow so quickly.... she's looking like a lady... very snuggly projects to keep the cold out.

Shirlee said...

Beautiful cowls, & your daughter is gorgeous! I agree with the person who said she could be a model.

Angela said...

Love them both :) Wonderful finishes!

Carol said...

Such beautiful creations, Hazel, and how lovely your sweet daughter is :)

Susanne Tyree said...

Lovely daughter, lovely cowl. My daughters are much older and love the Hunger Games as well. They love cowls too. This maybe the next one they get for a birthday or Christmas. Thank you for sharing the source.
Susanne :)

Marie said...

I love the bulky scarf that you made for your gorgeous daughter. Thank you so much for the link to the pattern and yarns. I would love to make this for my son's GF.

The smaller scarf is pretty as well ~ so colorful.

Brigitte said...

Both shawls are beautiful and I am not surprised that your daughter doesn't leave the house without wearing one of them. That thick one seems to be perfect for your winter weather.

Andrea said...

Beautiful scarves, certainly need them at the moment. You have a beautiful daughter too.

stitcherw said...

Wow, love the cowls, they are both lovely. Your daughter is beautiful, and makes a perfect model. How fun to be able to make something she so obviously loves. I've seen the first two hunger games, but not the most recent one yet. However, did read the books and really enjoyed them. Sue

Sally said...

Those cowls are beautiful and so is your daughter. She has grown up so much. It hardly seems like 5 minutes since she was tiny.

Karoline said...

Beautiful cowls, congratulations

Heidi Kuijer said...

What a pretty daughter you have Hazel! And the cowls are beautiful. I bet she loves them. Can you buy Lion Brand yarns in the UK? I saw your snow. We have had spring like weather with birds singing it in so I can ready for everything in my garden to come out.

Hugs from Holland,
Heidi

Annette-California said...

Your daughter is so pretty and looks lovely wearing the gorgeous Katniss cowl! I read all the books and also have seen the 2 movies (and saw one again last evening). The other scarf you made is beautiful! love Annette

Stawska said...

Its besutiful! I wonder how many "drops" you used for the first one?