Thursday, March 04, 2010

A few things to share

It's been a long week and I thought I'd better write an update. Little boy has been ill again - chest infection, ear infection and conjunctivitis. Poor fella. His temp was a raging 40 degrees the other night. He is on antibiotics now and seems much better already. I started with the sore eyes yesterday and felt a bit rotten today. Very tired. I am off for a much needed break in Ireland with my friend next week. Hubby is home and having the kids. I am hoping to come back very refreshed and ready for the next round!

Nic was my partner for the Friends Through Threads Pinkeep exchange and this is what I made for her:

Pinkeep for Nic

triple ribbon bow

Moda fabric back

Design - Carriage House Samplings Folk Art Pincushions
Backing Fabric - Moda Blackbird Designs
Threads - DMC

Nic says she really likes it and the shrug the lady is wearing is just like her own! Glad you like it Nic.

I won one of Lynn's Bottle top pincushions that she was giving away a while back. Now, if you have never visited Lynn's blog, I say to you now, GO GO GO. Her work is lovely and so inspiring. I was really pleased I had won one as when I saw them on Lynn's blog I started collecting bottle tops with the intention of making some. She has a link to some great instructions but there is nothing like seeing one in real life to "show you". So here it is:

Bottle top pincushion from Lynn

Isn't it beautiful?

I started my first Just Nan design this year gifted to me from Barb called Snowfire Christmas and I am absolutely loving how this is turning out. I got so into it that I freaked out when I realised I had ran out of a colour of thread. I found a great link to a site that sells DMC for 28p a skein. That, in the UK, is unheard of. In fact the last time I went into Hobbycraft for just 2 skeins of thread, I paid £1.80! So if you are in need of DMC then head over to Kat's Cross Stitch. Even the pnp is reasonable at 85p. You would pay more than that in petrol and parking. So I now have my missing skein and plan to get to work on this again very soon. Here is where I am up to on it:

Feb wip

close up

I was really trying to get a close up to show how sparkly it is but cameras never really do them justice do they?

So.... what else.... I have started my first punchneedle kit! I started but I did it wrong at first! READ THE INSTRUCTIONS YOU IDIOT!!!! Yes well, after I re read the instructions, I made pretty good progress on it but I will save the pics for another day. It is quite addictive but my dh hates it as he says the PUK PUK noise of the needle punching the fabric sounds like a chicken. HAW HAW HAW. I'm a getting him back for all the bad music he keeps playing round the house. Naaa, it is good to have him home, really.

On Saturday, I am going to a sock workshop at my local wool shop. Apparently you can't go home until you have completed at least one sock!!! Eeeeeeek. I'm not that fast - it could be a late one.

I have finished my Stitch and Pass On and it is ready to go to Elisa now but she is in the middle of a house move so I'll hang onto it till she has moved I think. No pics till she has got it. It is nice to have surprises.

Oh and lastly, I bought a GripnStitch frame. It was quite expensive but it is really, REALLY good. Fabric is very tight. I will give it a go and leave more feedback as and when.

Oh, I am sure there is more to say. It will have to wait for another day.

30 comments:

Blu said...

Your JN is gorgeous! The colours, the beads, the stitches...*sigh*

Cath said...

Hope your little one gets better soon , and have a good holiday , you deserve a break.
Your new start is sooo pretty , can't wait to see more . X

Peg said...

Your stitching is gorgeous thank you for sharing. I do hope you all feel better soon.

Peg x

Sweet Sue said...

Stunning JN, plz keep us posted on this one. Pinkeep is a cutie:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the cheap DMC. I thought Tandem Cottage was pretty good at 48p per skein, but this is great! I refuse to buy DMC from Hobbycraft anymore at over 70p per skein, even though it's much more convenient.

Catherine said...

What pretties you have shown us today! Too funny about the punchneedle sounding like chickens!

Margaret said...

Wow! You've been busy! Hope your little boy is feeling better. I remember the days of ear infections -- bleagh! Love that pinkeep -- the finishing is gorgeous! And love your Just Nan! Wow, so beautiful! Oh, and I won the other bottle cap pincushion from Lynn. Thanks for posting about it! I forgot to post about it on my blog and your post reminded me to add it on! lol!

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a lovely pinkeep you made. The finishing is beautiful.

The Just Nan is coming along well! I can see why you're so into it.

Christine said...

Thats a great price for thread, and your JN is beautiful. Love the pinkeep too.
I'm fascinated by the bottle top pincushion, must check the instructions out

Aussie Stitcher said...

I do hope that your son get well soon. Enjoy your time away. Your JN piece is looking wonderful.

jane said...

You JN is looking lovely and I like the pinkeep - really unusual.
Thie little pincushion is lovely - I may have a look at those instructions.
I'm suffering with that cold too so can sympathise, hope you all feel better soon.
Enjoy your break!

Carolyn NC said...

Hope your sweetie is better soon. Love the pinkeep, pincushion and JN - gorgeous! Enjoy your time off!

Berit said...

Lovelies!! :D

I also like that backing fabby you put on the pyn keepe!

DovilÄ— said...

perfect:)

Deb said...

That JN is absolutely stunning! I hope that everyone is feeling better around your house soon!

Sally said...

I do hope Elijah is feeling better Hazel.

Love your JN! it is absolutely gorgeous and the pinkeep you made for Nic is beautiful.

Brigitte said...

Your JN looks gorgeous, what a wonderful piece. I also love the pinkeep you stitched for Nic. I had never seen the pattern before, it's really lovely.
I hope that your little boy feels a lot better by now. And I hope that you're also fine again and that you can recharge your batteries in Ireland. Sometimes a little change does it all. Enjoy.

Kathy A. said...

Oh I love your Just Nan. I keep thinking I want to try one but haven't yet.
Your PS pinkeep is lovely and I love how you finished it.
I hope you and the little fella are feeling better soon. Glad to hear DH is home for a bit.

Mylene said...

That's a lovely pinkeep you had made for the exchange and your Just Nan is looking beautiful.

Hope your little one and you too are feeling much better by now.

Enjoy your break with your friend in Ireland!

Sharlotte said...

I have no idea how I missed this post! I love the pinkeep and I bet Nic does too. The fabric on the back is great. I waited too loing to try to find it here at the quilt shops. Hope your little fella is doing better. I'm glad that you are getting a little bit of a break.

I have nominated you for an award. You can stop by my blog to pick it up. Have a great day!

Karan said...

Oh poor little man! Hope he's feeling much better soon & you manage to fight it off (((((hugs))))). Have a lovely time in Ireland - it's just the break you need. :0)
Lucky Nic, that's a lovely piece. The bottle top is gorgeous - not seen these before. Your JN is beautiful - so enjoying seeing it develop. Thanks for the link to the cheap DMC, will be checking that out. You sure are busy. :0)

Lynn B said...

Hi Hazel,

I love your pinkeep and your work in progress, they are lovely. I am glad you received the pincushion safely!

Hugs
Lynn

Annemarie said...

A couple of days have passed, so I hope your little boy is doing much, much better, and that you didn't catch this bug after all. Let's see... are you in Ireland now, having yourself a very restful, enjoyable time? Good!

I love your new JN start! And the bottlecap pinkeep is fabulous! I saw a tutorial online once and wanted to try my hand at this, but I forgot all about it. Until now... Thanks for sharing!

Siobhán said...

Your NJ looks wonderful! I love what Nic did for you, too. Lovely things arriving in the mail for you, all of it. :)

Good for you with the punch needle! My daughter is learning but won't take the time to make sure what she's doing is correct and from the looks of it, I think she's messed up a bit, but she's enjoying it so I am keeping quiet. LOL

I hope your son is better soon!

Julie said...

JN is looking fabulous. Love the pinkeep what a fab ddesign. Not seen a bottle top before, will have to check that out.

Hope little man is on the mend.

Nicola said...

Hazel, your JN piece is beautiful!

As for DMC, although we have a brand new Hobbycraft in Stafford now, I prefer not to pay a wopping big 85p a skein. Fortunately there is a small craft shop in Stafford that sells it at 49p.

Louise said...

oh, and I do hope your son is feeling much better by now :)

Hugs,
Louise

Louise said...

Hello Hazel!

Have a read in your post that hubby is home? I hope so, that would be wonderful news!

I can't wait to see your punchneedle!

thinking of you,
Louise xx

Heidi said...

Hello Hazel! Well, where do I start? I love that pinkeep!!! It will be a treasured gift for her. I have never seen this design before and it is just fabulous. And speaking of fabulous...the Just Nan is amazing. All the beads really make it shine. DMC is a fortune here too. We pay between 1,30 and 1,50 euro now for regular and special floss is way higher.

I would be frightened of a workshop where I had to have a sock done before I could go home. I would be taking a suitcase along for a prolonged stay...lol.

Glad DH is back home so you can annoy him with the sound of the punchneedle. Nothing better than being together!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Lennu said...

I love, love, love the pinkeep you made!! What a lovely design and gorgeous finish, congratulations!